Grimes Family

GRIMES FAMILY BLOG

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Toothpick in Kendra's Foot

So back in about June or July I took Kendra in to the doctor because she had a bump on the bottom of her foot that looked like she had stepped on something, and I couldn't find anything in her foot to get out. so the doctor dug in her foot and couldn't find anything either so we figured it was an infection and she was put on antibiotics and with the antibiotics it went away and we forgot all about it. Then in September sometime she got a big bump on the side of her foot, and she told me about it at the end of September. So again we went to the doctor because with how hard it felt and how it looked I thought it was a broken bone of some sort. The doctor thought it was an infection as well so the doctor put her on antibiotics again and that didn't do anything so after our Disneyland trip we took in October we went back to the doctor and they figured it was like cartilage or whatever it is people tend to have bump up on the wrist and stuff and since it wasn't bothering her at all they said if that's what it was then it should go away on its own. But he told me if it started to hurt her or look worse than to make an appointment with a podiatrist. which I had made an appointment with the one he suggested for the 26th of this month, because it started rubbing against her shoe and bleeding. and being the good mother I am I thought about having her soak it in Epsom salt and water today for 45 mins. When she took her foot out of the water to to dry it i was nicely surprised by what looked in the water like just some skin hanging off the side of her foot. was actually about 2 centimeters of toothpick sticking out. So I grabbed tweezers and pulled on it and then repositioned the tweezers and pulled again and then again, to find she had a half of a toothpick stuck in her foot.
I'm guessing its what was in her foot way back in June or July. when I pulled it out there was pus with it so I knew that it was infected so I looked at the clock to see it was 4:30 and the doctors office was still open for 30 mins so I called and talked to the nurse who was able to squeeze us in to be seen 10 mins before they closed and even though we were running late they were nice and waited for us and didn't make me go to the kidscare. So the doctor looked at it and then had us go downstairs to radiology and get on x-ray to make sure nothing was left in her foot and there wasn't any signs of infection in the bone then we went back up the the office and he showed us the x-ray and said it looked good then he called in a prescription for some antibiotics and sent us home. so now we just have to watch it and seeing if it gets better or not. if it doesn't get better I still have the appointment with the podiatrist to look at it but if it does get better then I can cancel that appointment. we already have soaked her foot again tonight and looked at it and its looking better and smaller just within the few hours since I pulled the toothpick out.

1 comment:

  1. That's crazy! Poor girl. Glad you got it figured out, and pulled out.

    ReplyDelete